Tuesday 19 January 2010

ugh... more complications (34 weeks)

So I had an appointment with an endocrinologist yesterday because of my inconsistent blood work over the past few weeks. I went to the hospital at noon and didn't see him until 2:30, but it wasn't that bad.

We briefly discussed my history, and he was pleased with my knowledge of the topic. I shared with him that my father is diabetic, but his diabetes was caused by other factors (pancreatic shock). We looked over my past blood results (most of which were fine) then discussed my glucose test from the week before.

Basically I went to the doctor and they took my fasting blood glucose level. I then drank this drink which can only be described as similar to undiluted McDonalds orange drink (does anyone remember this from when we were kids?) BUT even sweeter and more disgusting!! After that they measure my blood glucose level after 1hr, 2hrs and 3hrs from the time I had the drink.

My fasting result was a little high and my 1hr result was quite high. At 2hrs it was going down and 3hrs was normal.

My own theories are that a number of factors messed up my results. First I didn't sleep well the night before, it was a very busy day, I had a lot of stress and concerns on my mind and finally I was in a lot of pain that day. Because baby big head is so low, he's been resting on my pelvis for a while and I believe I've done some damage to my pelvic tendons or ligaments... whatever it is, it hurts!! >.<

When I inquired about stress and pain affecting the results, the doctor fully agreed. However, at this stage in the pregnancy and with this being Korea (the land of over medicating) he told me he was going to admit me into the hospital for a week (A WEEK!?!) of observation.

After I began breathing again, I calmly explained that I wasn't going to do that (I don't think Korean doctors have been told "no" before) but I came up with a compromise. I suggested they lend me a glucometer for me to test my sugar at home and I would report the results to him. If things didn't look good, I was willing to come back in and be admitted.

Well, this also isn't common, but he found a sample unit that a pharmaceutical company had just dropped off so he lent it to me with instructions to test 4x a day.

And that's where I am now.

Last night before dinner my sugar was a little high, but after dinner was fine. And this morning before breakfast was great! Since last week I've been eating more frequently and being sure to avoid higher sugar items and get more protein. I've also started mixing a spoonful of cinnamon in a cup of milk and drinking it after meals.

I read that cinnamon can help insulin to utilize glucose, and so far this appears to be true. At this point, I'm willing to try whatever works... and for now I can handle mixing my chocolate milk with regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment