Friday 15 January 2010

my new obsession: the sweetie

So I have found a new food to become obsessed with: the Sweetie, also known as an Oroblanco!

What is a "sweetie" you might ask? Well it is a newer hybrid citrus fruit... it's actually a cross between a white grapefruit and a pomelo. Pomelos are delicious, but giant! And white grapefruits still have a more tart or sour flavour. But Sweeties are grapefruit sized, green and sweet with large pulp.

I like to slice mine up and eat it like an orange. Others cut it in half and eat it with a spoon. Still others peel it, though this is more of a challenge due to it's white, pithy membranes are thick and bitter.

This makes me wonder what other hybrid foods they can come up with... and while both the grapefruit and the pomello are citrus fruit, will they cross non-similar fruit as well? If so, what would I like to see?

I wonder if they could cross a blueberry with an apple ~ imagine that, a blue sweet apple... yum!

Or pomegranate and blueberries... oh. apparently I'm having a craving for blueberries...

Avacado and peach? or avacado and tomato! (the avamato or tomocado!!)

Maybe even a watermelon and...

Ok, I'd better stop. This is really giving me some mad cravings... I think it's time for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment