Tuesday 26 January 2010

being a healthy "branch"

So much on my mind... so much on my heart... and I often feel too tired and overwhelmed to sort through it all. >.< The last week has had so many "big things" to keep my mind occupied. On a physical level, I've been monitoring my blood glucose level as my doctor had concerns about high glucose and gestational diabetes. Much of my days have been spent thinking about sugar, measuring my blood, worrying about what to eat (when I really don't want anything at all) and so on... I had a second appointment today and was nervous that my results may not be up to par ~ and was surprised to hear him say that everything looks perfect! He advised me to continue to monitor my blood glucose level each day and to continue eating healthily and staying active.

I can't understand how people can neglect to take care of their physical health. I can't understand people who know that their health is declining and yet do nothing. For me, I may not have always made the best choices, but when it comes down to it I want to be healthy and I will do what it takes. Even more than that, I want my children to be healthy and I will do what it takes. Being careless with your own health is bad enough, being careless with the health of your child is... well, to me, nearly criminal. I just cannot fathom it.

This leads me to think about my spiritual health. When we do not nourish our bodies, it is easy for different body systems to malfunction and become impaired. Our bodies are not as strong as we imagine they are, we are breakable, we are mortal. So too is our spiritual self. When undernourished or forgotten it is easy for it to break down and become weak. No one wants to be weak... so how come it's so easy to neglect?

Prayer, studying the Word and fellowship all help to build up our spiritual selves and allow us to grow. This year I really want to take the time to work on these things and not let them fall to the back and be neglected.

John 15:5 says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Nourishing our bodies and nourishing our spirits follow the same principles, when beneficial things go in we flourish and grow. When our body is fueled by nutritious food it will perform well; and when our spirit is fueled by God's Word and prayer, we will bear much fruit.

In addition to these thoughts, the past few days have also been difficult emotionally. Baby Emma has passed away and a community is in mourning. This morning was the burial, though I wasn't able to be there.

In times like these it's easy to see the darkness in life, the injustice, the death and destruction that comes leaving many to feel hopeless. It it all the more important for us to stay encouraged and stay strong. Our Father mourns with us, He doesn't conspire against us.

In this time it's important to draw near to God, cry out in prayer, be encouraged by His Word... and when you do this you're not only honouring God, but you're also becoming a light to others in a dark world.

I pray I can continue to grow closer to my Father and grow in understanding of His plans; To seek what is good and beneficial and to be as healthy as I can be, both physically and spiritually; and that I can be a light in the world and help bring glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment