Thursday 31 March 2011

my April Proverbs challenge

In almost all aspects of life, wisdom is passed down through the generations. Children go to school, we study for our careers, we learn and repeat stories, etc. Traditionally it's been the same in Christianity, where there is an elder or teacher who instructs or disciples the young. And traditionally it's been the same in marriage, where the elder women pass on their wisdom.

These days I feel like that passing of wisdom is hard to find.

Maybe some youths don't want to listen. Maybe some elders have given up. Maybe everyone assumes that the young will learn their lessons from someone else.

For me, married and Christian, it's often hard to find balance and wisdom in my daily life. Media, peers, as well as Western and Asian culture all send mixed messages. Add to that two young adults and a toddler, and life can be pretty stressful and complicated.

I often wonder if I'm doing my job as a Christian, woman, wife and mother. I often wish there was someone in my life that would just tell me what the right thing to do really is... But God has prepared us for moments like this, recording His wisdom and instruction. We often hear that we should really study the Word and do what it says, but too often I feel we just like to listen to the nice stories.

I heard about a man who, as he was studying the Old Testament, literally lived out the rules of Leviticus for an entire year. (!!!!) Insane, right? While I'm not on that level, I decided to take the month of April to live out the instruction of Proverbs, focusing on Proverbs 31:10~31 about being a Godly wife ~ partially because I want to honour my husband's 30th birthday and partially because I feel I'm ready to step up to the challenge.

I plan to use this month to look at Proverbs 31:10~31, what it means and how I'm applying it to my life and marriage. But for today, I want to share the introduction of Proverbs (1:1~7).

1
The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:

2 for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to those who are simple,
knowledge and discretion to the young—
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

What does this mean? It means that God has given us this scripture to give knowledge to the young and to aid the teachers to be even wiser; Giving wisdom and discretion to guide us through our lives and help us avoid the pitfalls of those who don't fear the Lord.

I fully believe that my Creator has a plan for me and my family, and that He gives wisdom to those who ask for it. So now I'm asking for wisdom to be a better woman, wife and mother and be able to honour and bring glory to the God who created me.

Let's see how this goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment